Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Survey

I'm right smack in the midst of an irrational anxiety almost-attack. My normally very slow heart rate has quickened (I did just check it, though I already knew it had because I can feel my heart thumping against my chest). My entire body is tense. I feel like I need to do a few hours of productive work, take a long bath, and go to sleep all at the same time. Cognitively speaking, I know my life is fine. I can go through the list of "worrying" things and counter them with perfectly logical non-worrying arguments, but whatever is eating at me is not so easily settled. Even deep breathing and other action-oriented coping strategies my coworkers and I use with our anxious kiddos [to help fight physiological symptoms] seem to push me closer to or over the edge.

So, I'm looking for advice. I'm pretty sure a handful of people read this (for sure more than the 2 people who comment!) and I want to know your anxiety-fighting strategies.

How do you soothe an illogically anxious spirit?

5 comments:

Katie said...

Perhaps you had too much coffee?! With pumpkin spice lattes back on the scene, my days get awfully bizzare from such a jittery mind ;)
On a more serious note: I make myself get in the Now. There, I can realize that I am fine. My family is fine and all is well.

Natalie said...

I take deep breaths and tell myself that I am strong, and I can do this. It sounds corny, but it works.

Courtney said...

Running or long walks help, and of course yoga. Thinking of you dear friend and sending you lots of hugs.

Lashley said...

I like the term illogical anxiety -I used to experience something a lot that sounds similar - my girlfriend and I used to call it "undefinable angst." Anxiety may be more intense than angst though, and since Luke turned 3 I've been feeling more of it myself! I've found that in my worst moments/worst days, my own reserves and strategies only go so far. I think God is trying to show me how much I really do NEED Him, because sincere prayer is the only thing that gives me peace to last through a whole day! I hope you feel better soon!

Lashley said...

I like the term illogical anxiety -I used to experience something a lot that sounds similar - my girlfriend and I used to call it "undefinable angst." Anxiety may be more intense than angst though, and since Luke turned 3 I've been feeling more of it myself! I've found that in my worst moments/worst days, my own reserves and strategies only go so far. I think God is trying to show me how much I really do NEED Him, because sincere prayer is the only thing that gives me peace to last through a whole day! I hope you feel better soon!