Friday, July 4, 2008

independence day


“Patriotism is a beautiful thing - to love your country, your land, and your people, and to have a deep emotional affinity. But it can be so easily corrupted to polarized thinking, to harming others and ourselves, if we don’t realize what it is that is beautiful. It is beautiful because it is love.” -Patricia Sun




I discovered this quotation in the June issue of The Sun (recommended and lent to me by my friend Brian, who always seems to have his finger on things I’ll love to read and listen to). It’s a profoundly concise summation of a tension I’ve been trying to figure out for some time now. It’s also a much kinder conclusion than anything I was able to come up with.



I deleted the rest of this post. I'm pretty sure it didn't reflect the spirit of the quotation which inspired it.

I'll keep working...

No comments: