Monday, September 14, 2009

Fun with Freezer Paper Stencils

I'm way behind, but I finally gave it a go. I totally see what all the fuss is about - I loved the results of my first experimentation with freezer paper stencils.

Katie, Eric, Theo and little Sullivan James were my inspiration and the recipients.










































Shirts are all American Apparel organic cotton and I used Amsterdam Expert Acrylic paint in Burnt Umber. I'd read some varying opinions about fabric paint, acrylic, fabric mixed with acrylic, but I know the very talented Brandi uses acrylic on fabric, so I went for it. Also, I looked at "fabric paint" when I was at Hobby Lobby and all those tulip lids took me way way back (visions of puffy, "neon" pink, hand drawn letters... it didn't give me quite the inspiration I was looking for). Katie can let us know how it holds up.

I referred to The Artful Parent, SouleMama, and angry chicken for tips.
For mine:
I did iron a second sheet of freezer paper to the inside of each shirt.
I only let each one dry for as long as it took me to get the next stencil in line drawn and cut before I (carefully) removed the stencil.
After letting all the shirts dry for a couple of hours, I heat set them for an hour in the dryer on low heat.

Further tips are appreciated!

2 comments:

Katie said...

xoxoxo!!

You Are My Fave said...

These look awesome. I want to try it myself.